The Top 10 Most Powerful Anti-Godzilla Weapons
Written byon Oct 30, 2023 8:48 AM
The King of Kaiju has faced his fair share of formidable weapons. From the destructive power of the Oxygen Destroyer to the nimble Full Metal Missile Launcher, Godzilla has seen it all. To celebrate all things Godzilla, we have compiled a list of the most powerful anti-Godzilla weapons throughout the storied franchise.
1. MOGUERA (モゲラ) – Mobile Operations Godzilla Universal Expert Robot Aero-type is a robotic monster first appearing in the 1957 Toho film The Mysterians. It would take on The King of all Monsters in the 1994 film Godzilla vs.SpaceGodzilla. Constructed by G-Force alongside Mechagodzilla, MOGUERA is armed with a plasma laser cannon, automatic tracking laser, surface-to-air laser cannon, low-power maser vulcan, a crusher drill, magnetic & electronic countermeasures, spiral grenade missiles, and a beam barrier.
2. Mechagodzilla (メカゴジラ) – One of the greatest weapons used to combat Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, has undergone multiple iterations from 1974 – 2021. Before its introduction into Hollywood, there were 3 variations of Mechagodzilla, with the Millennial series version giving it a new name, Kiryu. Armed with a space beam, a high-power maser beam cannon, plasma grenades, a mega buster, twin maser cannons, paralyzer missiles, flight, and a defense Neo Barrier, Mechagodzilla is a formidable foe for Godzilla.
3. Super X (スーパーＸ ) – The Super X is an aerial vehicle used by the J.S.D.F. that first appeared in The Return of Godzilla. Armed with Cadmium missiles, cannons, and machine guns, the Super X was deployed to defend Tokyo against Godzilla, with the first encounter against The King of Kaiju being successful. The vehicle would be redesigned and used multiple times throughout the years.
4. Maser Cannon (メーサー兵器) – Making its first appearance in the 1966 film The War of Gargantuas, the Maser Cannon has seen action in over 13 films. The weapon has a satellite dish-like head that projects a blue beam of atomic energy. It has been repurposed on anti-kaiju weapons, including the Moonlight SY-3 & Mechagodzilla.
5. Mecha-King Ghidorah (メカキングギド) – Mecha-King Ghidorah was built in the year 2204 around the body of King Ghidorah after he was defeated by Godzilla in 1992. This formidable cyborg was sent back in time to face off against the King of Kaiju before he could destroy Tokyo. He succeeded in halting Godzilla’s attack, dumping him into the ocean. Mecha-King Ghidorah was damaged in the fight, and his mechanical middle head was salvaged and used to build Mechagodzilla.
6. N1-OO High-Powered Laser Vehicle (ハイパワーレ) – The N1-OO is a mobile laser cannon vehicle in the 1984 Toho film The Return of Godzilla. Deployed by the J.S.D.F. to intercept Godzilla, the weapon was initially successful, causing Godzilla to retreat. Eventually, the N1-00 would be turned into the Super X.
7. Cadmium Missile (カドミウム) – Originally designed to clean up radioactive debris, the Cadmium Missile would become a formidable weapon against Godzilla. In The Return of Godzilla, the J.S.D.F. used it to slow down the nuclear reactions inside the King of Kaiju’s body, eventually paralyzing him for a short time. Godzilla could only recover from atomic weapons fired by the Soviet Union and the United States, regenerating his cells.
8. Anti-Nuclear Energy Bacteria (抗核エネルギーバクテリア) – Abbreviated ANEB or ANB, this bacteria-filled rocket created by scientist Kazuto Kirishima in Godzilla vs Biollante can destroy nuclear substances and material by consuming them. The substance was able to defeat Godzilla.
9. Full Metal Missile Launcher (フルメタルミサイル・ランチャ) – These missile launchers were first deployed in Godzilla 2000: Millennium when Godzilla advanced on Tokai. They were able to cause injuries and stop his attempted attack on the nuclear power plant.
10. Oxygen Destroyer (オキシジェン・デストロイヤ) – The Oxygen Destroyer is a chemical weapon of mass destruction invented by Dr. Daisuke Serizawa and used to successfully kill the original Godzilla. This device is a heavy metal capsule with a glass central chamber. Contained within it is a large amount of Micro-Oxygen.
Ushering in a new era of Godzilla films, Godzilla 2000: Millennium brought fans into a new generation of storytelling that infused a mix of classic techniques, like the continued use of Tokusatsu, while also infusing more modern film making techniques to create a unique blend of classic and modern film magic. In addition, Godzilla is painted as an anti-hero of the film, laying waste to Tokyo until a new more powerful threat emerges.
Celebrate Godzilla Day early when the film comes to theaters nationwide November 1. Sign up for our newsletter to keep up to date with all our screenings.
"*" indicates required fields